Ice

Observation platform Delta.
Ice planet IX.
Uisper solar system.
Eugidi constellation.
Minmatar Republic.



Planktic colonies, micro organisms and copious amounts of heavy metals. There is a quiet calm about this place. This is a harsh world where the darkness is bewitching and the temperatures devilishly unkind, mind-numbingly cold like a frozen dagger to the heart. In the distance, lights plink away above a metal monster like eyes in the swirling snow and murky skies. Rhythmic and trance-like. Always blinking. Always there. An industry grinding away and eating the resources like a giant machine with a never-ending appetite.

The stormy black sky lights up as an Incursus-class frigate rumbles into view, announcing itself with a blistering flash.

I jerk awake, sitting bolt upright. Hands fumbling at my sides for my night vision zoom goggles, whilst at the same time smashing the talk button on my comms unit as I swivel clumsily in my chair.

"This is OPD1. Contact at low altitude, Incursus-class frigate, over."

Silence. The faint crackle of the comms. Nothing. Waiting. I look down at my half-eaten candy bar.

"Copy that OPD1. Standby, out."

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Stupid job. I slump into my chair and hit the play button on the holographic unit above my switchboard.


MB.





Comments

Popular Posts